fbpx

To Launch the restoration of this historical building in the country town of

Melton Mowbray

We are excited to announce that the doors are now open to this prestigious development tucked away down a private road just a mile from Melton Mowbray. The development comprises thirty 2, 3 & 4-bedroom homes.

The existing Sysonby Lodge has been senstively restored and converted into nine white rendered homes with the tenth being a conversion of the former chauffeur’s garage. This exceptional conversion combines energy efficient 21st century design and technology with 18th century architecture.

Each new build home will sit within the Sysonby Parkland offering EPC A rated 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Anticipated release for the new builds is end 2023 / start 2024.

For further information please call 01572 757979 or 01664 491610 or email [email protected]

 

MARKETING SUITE NOW OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Call us to book a viewing

The existing Sysonby Lodge has been sensitively restored and converted into nine white-rendered homes with the tenth being a conversion of the former chauffeur’s garage. This exceptional conversion combines energy-efficient 21st-century design and technology with 18th-century architecture.

The original house was bui1t over 200 years ago.

Sensitively restored into Luxury conversions

The History of the Property

In view of the location and the traditions of the area it is not surprising to find that Sysonby Lodge, or to be more precise the site of the present building, has both an origin and subsequent history associated with hunting.


Click to Expand

It is known that a “Sysonby House” existed over 200 years. Its owner a Robert Bligh, advertised the house for let in 1789 and again some eight years later, and from the advertisements we know that at that time it consisted of a large dining room, parlour and kitchen, plus dressing room and study, with six ‘lodging rooms’ built over these. There was also stabling for 16 horses. Other early references speak of a ‘two up and two down’ building although it is not clear whether these relate to Bligh’s property or to an even earlier structure.

However, the remains of this period still exist in the form of the upper and lower rooms at the right-hand corner of the present building (as viewed from the front).

During the second decade of the 19th century the house was purchased by the 6th Earl of Plymouth. He demolished most of the old building in 1823 and replaced it with the present structure in the form of a residential mansion with some 40 rooms. He also changed the name to Plymouth Lodge under which title it remained for the next 60 years.

Lord Plymouth kept the largest stud in Melton, usually consisting of at least 25 hunters, so there must also have been extensive stabling with accommodation for grooms.

In April 1885, Plymouth Lodge was purchased by a Major Stirling and renamed ‘Sysonby Lodge’. The Major was a “fine old English gentleman• who played an important part in the life of the town whilst his wife was equally respected for her welfare activities on behalf of the inhabitants. The lodge remained in the hands of the Stirling family until 194 7.

As far as is known there is no great change to the property during this period, although it is safe to assume that the stabling provisions would have been reduced, certainly after the First World War if not before. However, probably because one of the four sons, W.G.Stirling, (the youngest) had served in the Far East and married a Chinese bride, part of the grounds was set out as a Japanese garden with an Oriental Temple and aviary of rare birds. Regrettably, little trace of this now remains and the many classical statues which graced the grounds during the Stirling era also vanished during the subsequent period of commercial ownership. Perhaps a not unfitting memorial to the Stirling family is the presence of the six graves of the children’s pets, including a pony, which are sited nearly opposite the front entrance.

The Lodge was bought in 1947 by the Stanton Iron Company, which later became part of Stewart and Lloyds, and later again The British Steel Corporation. During the ownership the property was subject to considerable alteration and extension. Two completely self-contained flats were built into the rear of the first floor and the remainder of the house converted into some 1 2 office rooms with supporting cloakroom facilities etc. Outbuildings that were added or adapted included two other flats and two cottages, plus various workshop and store facilities.

Cessation of iron at Stanton plus general or re-organisational considerations caused British Steel to place the property on the market in 1973. It was withdrawn from auction when it failed to meet the reserve price and remained unoccupied for the following three years other than for some of the flats and cottages for part of the time. In 1976 the Lodge was bought by the Finance and Personnel Group of British Leyland which had been formed as a result of the Ryder Report. British Leyland made further changes, notably conversion of the two flats in the main building into additional office space, the inclusion of one of the external cottages into the extended office block to the right of the house, and the construction of a fully air conditioned computer room in what had been the library in the Stirling time.

The house remained in British Leylands hands until purchased by The Institute of Packaging in the summer of 1983.

Past Owners & Occupants

Throughout much of its history, the property has been sublet, either for the hunting season or for longer periods.

Many well-known individuals have been tenants or guests at the lodge, including notabilities and characters such as The last occupants of the old house prior to its sale and reconstruction were probably Sir David and Lady Ann Baird. He was the son of General Baird, who had served with Wellington in India, and was acknowledged to be the finest and hardest huntsman of that time.

The 6th Earl of Plymouth was a keen yachtsman and constructed a lake in front of the house for bathing and swimming. He had a very wide ‘set’ which included the Dukes of Rutland, Dorset and Argyle: also Lords Sefton and Alvanley who in turn were associates of Beau Brummell. No doubt all of these would have been guests at the Lodge. In 1821 the Lodge was let for two seasons to a ‘Golden’ Ball Hughes. He was a wealthy and eccentric bachelor who became the life and soul of the local festive season and kept up the spirits of the Melton hunt by holding sumptuous banquets every day. 

Another character whose behaviour bordered on eccentricity was Squire W. H . Carland who had hunters stationed at the lodge during the 1860-61 season. He would ride the area with a servant and order the destruction of any repairs to fences or hedges that might hinder the passage of a hunt.

However, perhaps the most colourful characters of all were Sir Alexander and Lady Florence Beaumont Churchill Dixie, better known locally as ‘Sir Always and Lady Sometimes Tipsy’.

Lady Florence was a poet, adventuress, Boer War correspondent, horse and markswomen and campaigning advocate of rational dress for women. She brought in the dress for women to ride ‘astride saddle’ rather than ‘side saddle’. She would walk through the streets of Melton accompanied by a Jaguar cub which she had caught during a trip to Patagonia, it is also said that she can still be seen walking the streets of Melton. 1900 saw the Lodge household welcoming the return of Mr R Stirling who had been involved in the siege of Ladysmith. 

Famous Tenants of Sysonby Lodge include:

During the period of Stirling ownership the house had a succession of famous tenants including:

Lord and Lady Randolph Churchiff
(Winstons parents)

Winston, the great man himself

Captain Beatty
{The future Admiral Earl Beatty)

The Duke and Duchess of Marlborough

The Duchess of Newcastle

Mr W J Barclay (The Banker)

Several well-known American families also rented the Lodge in the first part of this century.

Lauren & Kelly will be in attendance on Saturday and Sunday offering mortgage advice.

Follow us on Social Media for further updates 

Checkout our website for more information about Moores Estate Agents and the Melton Mowbray area

Compare listings

Compare